Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Books I've Read: The Land of 10,000 Madonnas


This is one of those books I was excited to read because the blurb made it sound like something I'd really enjoy.  And I did enjoy parts of it.  Just not the whole book.

There are too many POV characters and you don't ever get a chance to get into anyone's head in a real way.  In fact, the only character I felt like I got to know was Jesse, the deceased friend/cousin whose wishes the others are following.  And that was through some writings he left one of his cousins that she guarded jealously through most of the book.

I was also frustrated that none of these characters seemed to want to explore Europe.  They were there!  It was all paid for by someone else.  Yet all they seemed to do was bicker and argue as they tried to follow non-existent clues to someone else's mystery.  It seemed like a missed opportunity.

And the mystery wasn't even really solved.  The ending just kind of fizzed out.

There were some nice moments, but overall, I finished reading this with a kind of 'meh' feeling.  So can't really recommend it.  It wasn't terrible, but I doubt I'll remember much about it in six months time..

But don't just listen to me.  Here's the blurb:

Five teens backpack through Europe to fulfill the mysterious dying wish of their friend.

Jesse lives with his history professor dad in a house covered with postcards of images of the Madonna from all over the world. They’re gotten used to this life: two motherless dudes living among thousands of Madonnas. But Jesse has a heart condition that will ultimately cut his life tragically short. Before he dies, he arranges a mysterious trip to Europe for his three cousins, his best friend, and his girlfriend to take after he passes away. It’s a trip that will forever change the lives of these young teens and one that will help them come to terms with Jesse’s death.

2 comments:

  1. That's disappointing that the mystery fizzled out. I hate it when that happens in stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound interesting, so it's too bad that it doesn't live up to the hype. A missed opportunity indeed.

    ReplyDelete